Easy Red Beans and Rice
Red Beans and Rice Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 pound dried small red beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 to 16 ounces spicy smoked sausage, sliced
Pick beans over, discarding stones and damaged or shriveled beans. Cover with water and soak for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse beans.
Transfer beans to a large pot; add 4 cups water, the ham bone or hocks, onion, garlic, celery, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, or until beans are tender. Check beans and add water as necessary.
Brown sausages in a skillet; drain. Cut sausages into slices and add to beans. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes longer. Serve beans with hot cooked rice.
Serves 6 to 8.