Chef Lou Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Red Beans and Rice Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 thick slices of salt pork
- 1 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup green bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup onion small dice
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 3 cans red beans, with liquid
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon Tony Chachere’s Original (creole) Seasoningor blackening powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
Sauté the salt pork in a large skillet to render out the fat, then remove the salt pork. (You want about 1/4 cup of rendered grease.)
Add the vegetables and sauté in the rendered fat until tender.
Add the sausage and cook on medium high for about five minutes. Toss in the tomato and the canned beans.
Add all of the spices and seasonings.
Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Serve over plain white rice.